Friday, November 2, 2007

Disappointed

Title: Leave Me Alone, I’m Reading
Author: Maureen Corrigan
# pages: 184
ISBN #: 0-375-50425-7
Genre: Nonfiction
Challenge(s): Bibliography challenge

First Sentence: It’s not that I don’t like people. It’s just that when I’m in the company of others—even my nearest and dearest—there always comes a moment when I’d rather be reading a book.

Cover blurb: As book reviewer for NPR’s Fresh Air and contributor to many publications, Maureen Corrigan literally reads for a living. For as long as she can remember, books have been at the center of her life, a never-failing source of astonishment, hard truths, new horizons, and welcome companionship. Now Corrigan has added a volume of her own to the shelf of classics, by reading her life of reading with all the attention to complexity, wit, and intelligence that any good book–or life–deserves.

Reason for Reading: I love the title…

Random Thoughts: …but I hated the book. I was so excited about reading this book, but it just wasn’t what I expected. First of all, Corrigan and I obviously don’t have the same taste in books. That’s not always a bad thing. One of the reasons I like to read books about books is to discover books and authors I’ve never heard of. Unfortunately, Corrigan’s descriptions were so exceedingly dull that I don’t feel compelled to pick up any of the books she mentioned. I didn’t find her reflections about her personal life terribly entertaining either. So, for me, this was just a tedious read. I ended up skimming the last half of the book.

Favorite quote: I did, however, identify with Corrigan’s passion for books and the way being a voracious reader can make you somewhat of an outcast in today’s society.

“Books just don’t register with this crowd. They think I lack common sense; I think they lack a part of their souls.” (p. 57)

I’ve certainly felt this way in certain company.

Rating: D


1 comment:

tinylittlelibrarian said...

I had this one on my list for the Something About Me Challenge but quickly abandoned it after her introduction. It looked really dull and, as you say, I could tell we didn't share the same reading tastes. Plus, she had a chapter on what reading Catholic nun stories has taught her. Nothing against nuns, but I wasn't aware that was actually a genre...