Random Thoughts: Spanning the time period between the Civil War and World War I, Steinbeck mixes biography with fiction as East of Eden follows the
Favorite quote: “Samuel rode lightly on top of a book and he balanced happily among the ideas the way a man rides white rapids in a canoe. But Tom got into a book, crawled and groveled between the covers, tunneled like a mole among the thoughts and came up with the book all over his face and hands.” (p. 282)
* Published for the first time in September of 1952, East of Eden was number one on the fiction best-seller list in November 1952. The book has never been out of print since.
* The 1955 film version of East of Eden was James Dean’s first major film role. He played Cal (Caleb).
* The original manuscript of East of Eden is in the
* According to the
• Eleven years of mental gestation
• One year of uninterrupted writing
• 25 dozen pencils
• Approximately three dozen reams of paper
• 350,000 words (before cutting)
• About 75,000 words in his work-in-progress journal
• And a rock-hard callus on the middle finger of the writer's right hand.
Rating: AAlso reviewed by:
My Own Little Reading Room