Friday, January 30, 2009

Meme: Bookworm

Jeane at Dog Ear Diary (I love her blog name, don't you? ;o)), tagged me for a meme that asks you to grab the nearest book to you and share three to six lines from page 56, starting with the fifth sentence. Since I'm reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov and I just sat it down before checking the blog, it's the closest one to me. 


So here's a little taste of Lolita, page 56:
"But for almost three weeks I had been interrupted in all my pathetic machinations. The agent of these interruptions was usually the Haze woman (who, as the reader will mark, was more afraid of Lo's deriving some pleasure from me than of my enjoying Lo). The passion I had developed for that nymphet--for the first nymphet in my life that could be reacted at last by my awkward, aching, timid claws--would have certainly landed me again in a sanatorium, had not the devil realized that I was to be granted some relief if he wanted to have me as a plaything for some time longer."
Yep...that about sums Lolita up...

(For those of you who haven't read Lolita, that Haze woman is 12-year-old Lolita's mother.)

Thanks for giving me the chance to share a part of what I'm reading with my blog readers, Jeane! As always, if you see this meme and you're inclined to play along, consider yourself tagged.

3 comments:

Jeane said...

You're right, that passage really does share a flavor of the book. Mine was all short sentences. Thanks for playing along!

Wendi said...

I've seen this done a lot and this was the first time that I've seen it done where the selection actually said a lot about the book.

bookinhand said...

I decided to join in on the fun. But my passage didn't say much about the book! Diane