Thursday, April 16, 2009

Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult

imageviewer.asp.5fe3SMlR4p90.jpg

Title: Handle With Care
Author: Jodi Picoult
# pages: 477
Date published: 2009
Genre: fiction
Challenge(s): 100+ Challenge, 999 Challenge, Chunkster Challenge, Countdown Challenge, Support Your Local Library Challenge, Pages Read Challenge, Science in Fiction Project

Rating: (excellent)


4roses.hyrOMECke2ho.jpg

First sentence(s):

“Things break all the time.”

What is it all about? Charlotte and Sean O’Keefe’s daughter, Willow, was born with the rare genetic condition osteogenesis imperfecta, sometimes called “brittle bone disease.” While Willow isn’t perfect, she is a smart, beautiful, wise five-year-old. When a wayward vacation lands the O’Keefes in jail accused of child abuse, their experience sets off a chain of events that ends with them suing Charlotte’s obstetrician for wrongful birth.

Random thoughts: Like all Picoult books, Handle With Care presents an interesting dilemma - In the interest of securing a disabled child’s future can and will a parent say anything? Will a five-year-old disabled child understand that his or her parent doesn’t really mean that he or she is not wanted even though that parent says it in a court of law where they have sworn to tell the truth?

I found Handle With Care thought provoking and interesting. However, I *hated* the ending. It really didn’t seem necessary to end the book that way and that dropped it a few rating points for me.

Fun tidbits:
Recommended for readers who: like other Picoult books and books that make you rethink your position on the choices people sometimes have to make.

2 comments:

Shonda said...

I agree with you about the ending. After reading the first few pages, I knew how it would end, however the event that occurred at the end wasn't necessary. I do recommend this book though despite the ending. Honestly, one cannot go wrong with a Jodi book! (But since she's a favorite author of mine, I guess I'm a little biased.)

Kristi said...

I agree. This is the first Jodi Picoult book that I've not liked the ending on. But I really liked the book up to the very end and I'll certainly continue reading her books (I still have a few of her old ones I haven't read yet, too).