Saturday, January 31, 2009

January 2009 Wrap-Up

See how mad the cat looks? Yeah, well, that's about how I feel about my January reading progress. I'm not really sure what my problem has been this month. I just haven't felt like reading very much. Of course, all the new technology around here hasn't helped (new Mac Air--my first Apple, new iPhone, etc.). My new toys have definitely distracted me even as they streamlined a lot of the on-line things I do.


Only in the last day or so have I started to feel my old reading mojo returning (Hallelujah! I was beginning to get worried!). But, the fact remains, I only finished 2 books in January. Two!! And I've only reviewed one - I've given up on the other one. So here are the two I read:

1. Silent Night by J.D. Robb, Susan Plunkett, Dee Holmes, and Claire Cross
2. Dewey: The Small-Town Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter

I have several books in progress at the moment, though. So look for reviews coming up for:
1. Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich (a between-the-numbers Stephanie Plum)
2. The Road by Cormac McCarthy
3. Shadow Game by Christine Feehan (my first by her!)
4. Lolita by Vladimire Nobokov (I've been meaning to read this for forever -- so far it's creepy, but fascinating)
5. Tourist Season by Carl Haasen (weird)
6. This Land Is Their Land by Barbara Ehrenreich (I really enjoyed her Nickeled and Dimed -- if you haven't read it, I'd highly recommend it)

So I'm not going to finish the Unread Authors Challenge. It ends today and I haven't finished my last two unread authors -- Christine Feehan and Carl Haasen. But I will, eventually. I'm over half the way through both Shadow Game and Tourist Season, so they should be included in the next update. I might not have finished the Unread Authors Challenge on time, but I'm still signing up for Literary Escapism's New Author Challenge. Look for a post about that soon. My goal is 25 new (to me) authors.

The other challenge that ends today that I'm not going to finish is the New Classics Challenge hosted by Joanna at It's All About Me (Time). Luckily, for me, Tracee at The Review From Here has decided to make this a perpetual challenge. So now I'll attempt to not only finish The Road, which I'm half-way through, and read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay like I had planned, I will also attempt to finish all 100 books--one day ;o).

3 comments:

Wendi said...

I have been struggling with reading this month as well. I'm currently at the end of only my 3rd book. Three books would be great if I had been reading some difficult books. I haven't. I hope that I find my mojo this month.

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

It's an interesting selection of books you're reading at the moment. I can't normally read more than one book at a time!

Bookfool said...

Actually, it kind of looks like that cat is doing some business in the snow.

As to the finished books . . . some months are like that. I broke my record for number of books read in a month, in January, but they were all short! 3 were graphic novels! I feel like I cheated. Plus, I'm doing terrible in February, so it all balances out.