Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney

Bright Lights, Big City was published in 1984. It's about a young man's struggle to make sense of his life in the Big Apple. New York City isn't quite the same today as it was in the 1980s, but it's certainly still recognizable. The use of second person to tell the story was strange at first, but as I read I found myself liking it more and more. I certainly liked it better than The Bonfire of the Vanities. This is another book read from the Entertainment Weekly's New Classics list. I'm working on reading all 100.

4 comments:

joanna said...

This was made into a movie right? I remember seeing the title somewhere. Good luck with the EW project!

Kristi said...

It was made into a movie in the late 80s, though I've never seen it. Could be good, though. Michael J. Fox plays the lead character and Kiefer Sutherland plays his sidekick. Thanks for coming by, Joanna!

Cheryl said...

I really like your reviews! They are to the point and I like that!

Kristi said...

Thanks, Cheryl. I've tried longer ones, but they don't really work for me ;o). I find if I keep it short and simple, I'm more likely to actually put something on the blog!