Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

The Color of Magic is the first Discworld book. I've heard about this series for years, but fantasy isn't normally my thing. I probably wouldn't have picked it up now if it were not for one of the tasks for the Seasonal Reading Challenge. The task required us to put a favorite author into the Literature Map and choose two male authors we'd never read before. Most of my favorite authors are romance authors. There weren't a lot of men to choose from ;o). So, I went with J.K. Rowling as my favorite author instead and chose Terry Pratchett and Isacc Asimov as the two new-to-me male authors.

I didn't love The Color of Magic, but I enjoyed it well enough. It was funny -- my favorite was the Luggage that ran around on hundreds of little legs -- and had some great adventure scenes in it. And, while fantasy isn't destined to become my genre of choice, I liked it well enough that I'll probably check out the next book in the series, The Light Fantastic.

Anyone else read the Discworld books? What did you think?

No comments: