Saturday, December 13, 2008

Chunkster Challenge Wrap-Up

Dana at So Many Books, So Little Time hosted the chunkster challenge this year. The goal was to read one chunkster, defined as a book that had at least 450 pages, each quarter of 2008. I committed to 4 books. I actually read many more chunksters than my original 4, but I wanted to knock those off my list before the end of the year, too.

Books read:

1. Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs (532 pages)

2. Don't Tell by Karen Rose (482 pages)

3. Have You Seen Her? by Karen Rose (499 pages)

4. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (493 pages)

(alt.) 5. The Bookman's Promise by John Dunning (469 pages)

(alt.) 6. The Sign of the Book by John Dunning (513 pages)

(alt.) 7. Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (541 pages)

(alt.) 8. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson (595 pages)

(alt.) 9. Divine Evil by Nora Roberts (501 pages)

(alt.) 10. A Pirate Looks at Fifty by Jimmy Buffett (458 pages)


Favorite book(s) of the challenge: I liked all of the books in this challenge (otherwise I never would have read 450 or more pages!), but my absolute favorites of the bunch are A Short History of Nearly Everything, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Half of Yellow Sun, Don’t Tell, and Have You Seen Her (yes…I know…that’s half the list, but they're all too good to choose just one...or two...or three...whatever ;o)).


Any new authors read in this challenge? Kathy Reichs, Karen Rose, Betty Smith, and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie were all new authors to me.


What I learned: Big books are good readin' ;o).


Would you do this one again if it were offered next year? Definitely.


Thanks for hosting this challenge, Dana! I enjoyed choosing and reading books for it.

No comments: